The world is a heavy place with a lot of responsibilities. You have responsibilities to your family, to yourself, to your work, not to mention simple responsibilities like taking out the trash and washing the car. It seems everyone right now is weighted down with this sense of responsibility. I normally add to those responsibilities with solutions of how to take better care of your body, but today, lets take a breather.
Today, I want you to approach your day with a little more play. This doesn’t mean you have to skip the office for the playground (but you should skip instead of walk), just add a sense of joy and lightness to your day. I will even make this post brief so you don’t have to be so adult and READ, you can just DO!
Here are just few easy ways to bring some play to your day-to-day:
- Play games – Busy at the supermarket? See if you can duck and dodge your way through the crowd without bumping into anyone!
- Notice what you like – The sky, the color of the car next to you, some ladies hat, the wagging tail of a dog. It doesn’t have to be a lot.
- Engage with strangers – When you lose the game in #1 and you bump a stranger, smile, laugh, make eye contact, or give them a compliment. You can do this with people you don’t bump into (and probably get better results) as well.
- Enjoy music – Sing or dance or just carry the tune in your head as you go about your daily errands. When you notice someone belting out Whitney Houston in the car next to you, don’t you smile and think that person is having the BEST time!
- Smile – Just cause.
- Move – Exercise is great, but as adults, we have even taken the fun out of that. Challenge yourself to skip, hop, crawl, chase (children and dogs are excellent playmates), instead of just going for a jog.
- Laugh – At how much we take ourselves seriously when we have absolutely no control over anything.
Have a happy day my friends! If you feel like it, let me know how you found play in the comments below! Also, let your friends know so they can start playing too!
2 thoughts on “Play Day-to-Day”
Terrific idea. I really consider my running and weight training as forms of play. (Sometimes when I run down the street I imagine that I’m a boxer in training.) I look forward to them. But I also like to throw the ball with my son, or shoot baskets with my daughter, or just be silly.
Thanks for reading! I too think of my exercise as play, but I also think there is fun and joy to be found in all the in-betweens too! Keep playing! Love the play time with your kiddos!
LikeLiked by 2 people